Saturday, June 26, 2010

Johnson's Boucaniere makes us want to frolic.

So when Chelsea and I aren't running covert operations to retrieve signs, we tend to enjoy an EatLafayette special from time to time. As a girl who openly admits to an unhealthy obsession for pulled pork, I was really excited to try out Johnson's Boucaniere for the first time today. As soon as we walked through the door and smelled the savory smoked meats, I knew we were in for something good. Resisting the smokey goodness of it all was NOT an option...so we each ordered the EatLafayette special of a pulled pork sandwich, bag of Zapp's chips and a canned soft drink, AND a smoked chicken salad to split, AND a side order of potato salad. We both knew that a spectacular display of eating ability was about to commence.

We headed outside with our feast. I know, you must be thinking "These girls are insane...OUTSIDE...in June...in Lafayette!!" But really, Johnson's covered porch was surprisingly breezy and the perfect setting for our lovely lunch. I started with the pulled pork sandwich, which was so overflowing meat that it was just a bit intimidating. DELICIOUS! A few bites in, I tried out the smoked chicken salad. Now this isn't just your everyday chicken salad - this smoked chicken salad is topped with Zapp's potato chips and Johnson's
own BBQ sauce dressing! Yeah, think about that for a little while. It was unlike any salad I've ever had. Every element complements the moist smoked chicken perfectly. Back to the sandwich and the potato salad. Then some more salad. I was reaching my limit...hitting that lean back from the table and sigh moment, when I made an important decision. I forfeited the remainder of my sandwich bun and dove right back into that succulent, smokey pulled pork. It really was the best option for everyone involved.

At one point near the end of our meal, I said to Chelsea, "This is so good, it makes me want to frolic." I may have actually frolicked had I not just stuffed my face with way more than I could handle (see the evidence to your right).
The entire experience was made complete when a gentleman at a nearby table announced casually to his eating-mates, "This is the life." We couldn't agree more. Thanks to Johnson's Boucaniere for a fantastic meal! We WILL be back!


Chelsea ended up wearing a little bit of her BBQ sauce dressing, it's just that good. Tide pen to the rescue! Product placement anyone?

No comments: