Wednesday, July 07, 2010

2Paul's Revisited - 2Thumbs Up!

Last night I took the hubby to 2Paul's Radically Urban BBQ. We're already huge fans and we're not there enough, so when we got the chance to stop in and review for EatLafayette again this year, it was a no-brainer. First off, I've blogged for EatLafayette about the 2Pauls experience before (that entry can be found here) and since then, Ms. Marilyn and Mr. Gary (the owners), my hubby and I have developed a friendship. (That may or may not be due to the fact that I'm constantly singing their praises because I honestly believe they can do no wrong when in the kitchen.) Anywho, last night I decided to forego my usual – the wonderful Pulled Pork Sandwich (Asian Slaw on top) drowned in 2Paul's own mild bbq sauce with Pretty Ruby's Rice Dressing – for something different for the sake of giving you all a well-rounded review.

After much deliberation, I ordered the #2 Meal - The 2 Meat Dinner. It comes with your choice of 2 meats, 2 sides and bread. Can't lose with this one, folks. I carefully selected the chicken and the brisket as my 2 meats and decided to consume all the starches in the kitchen by ordering the potato salad and the homemade potato chips. To drink, I asked for a Radical Rita, 2Paul's take on the margarita with tequila, triple sec and blue caracao. The hubby? The All You Can Eat Ribs for $10.99. Ladies, if the way to a man's heart is through his stomach, bring him to 2Paul's on a Tuesday night between 5pm and 8pm.

Satisfied with our choices, we grabbed a table and settled in for the shortest wait of our lives. The service at 2Paul's is one of the best parts of the restaurant. Fast and friendly, you never have to wait for the servers (they might have ESPN). The brisket was tender and the chicken was juicy and when doused in the mild barbecue sauce, they were heaven. The homemade potato chips were crispy with just the right amount of spice and before I could finish the potato salad, I was attempting to convince Mr. Gary they should name it after me (Mae-Mae's Potato Salad... it's got a ring to it, right?). The Radical Rita was something else entirely. I'm somewhat of a margarita connoisseur, not to toot my own horn or anything, and usually it's either too strong, too weak or too downright fruity. This margarita was perfection.

Chris ended the night with only 11 ribs in his belly and when I asked him why that was all he ate he responded, "Honey, I'm a retired champion" with a mischievous grin. Gotta love him. FYI - The new record at 2Paul's is 36 ribs eaten in one sitting. The guy who set this record beat Chris' record of 30. After sitting and enjoying the atmosphere with our stuffed bellies we were informed that one of Mr. Gary's friends was busing in 26 of his closest friends from Baton Rouge just for the All You Can Eat occasion. That was our cue to leave... clearly they would need the table space.

Still need a reason to give 2Paul's a try? The EatLafayette Special is buy one rack of ribs get second rack half off any day of the week! 


Check out the full menu at www.2paulsbbq.com.

No comments: